Foreign Student Visas

Foreign Student Visas

Three of the Scott Law Firm’s immigration attorneys – Paul “Woody” Scott, Sakeena B. Naqvi, and Carley Tatman - recently visited Louisiana Christian University, where they got a chance to speak about immigration options for foreign students!

The immigration attorneys really enjoyed meeting the students and faculty and were impressed by the student’s thoughtful questions. They even got a chance to speak to some of the students after the presentation and found it so inspiring to hear their future plans!

Student visas enable you to attend college/university or obtain vocational training in the United States. Common types of student visas include the F1 visa and M1 visa.

You will need an F visa if you want to enter the United States to attend:

  • University or college
  • High School
  • Private Elementary School
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Another academic institution, including language training programs

You will need an M visa if you want to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program.

A visitor visa, also known as a B visa, also permits enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate. Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is never permitted on a B visitor visa, even if it is for a short duration. For example, a student in a distance learning program that requires a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus must obtain a student visa prior to entering the United States.

Student visas for new students can be issued up to 365 days in advance of the start date for a course of study. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States on your student visa more than 30 days before the start date. Student visas for continuing students may be issued at any time, as long as the student is currently enrolled in a SEVP-approved school or institution and in SEVIS. Continuing students may enter the United States at any time before class starts.

Extensions - Foreign students in the United States with F visas must depart the United States within 60 days after the program end date listed on Form I-20, including any authorized practical training, unless they properly request and are granted an extension. Failure of foreign students to depart on time will result in being out of status and may result in you being ineligible for visas in the future.

Change of Status - If your plans change while in the United States (for example, if you marry a U.S. citizen or receive an offer of employment), you may be able to request a change in your nonimmigrant status to another category.

Whether you are a new student, a continuing student, need help with requesting an extension of stay, or a looking for help with a change of status, the Scott Law Firm can help students with all of their immigration needs.

If you or a loved one would like more information on student visas or would like to see what immigration options are available to you, contact the Scott Law Firm today!